Air Setups for Mobile Road Use?

Snippets from past years of the no-longer active Locomotive Horn Collectors group on Facebook.
HWAdmin
Site Owner

Air Setups for Mobile Road Use?

Post by HWAdmin »

(posted by DO, 23 March 2017)

"What air setups do you guys find most effective? I've been considering a gas engine running dual belt driven driven two stage compressors, capable of producing 60cfm, which would be perfect for a lengthy recording with probably any horn except a 5/16" M5 of course."

(comments)

MF: "My set up is an electric compressor that plugs into a wall outlet, and a couple of 20 gallon tanks in my car. I can have one or two 20 gallon tanks, combined with the compressor. I can have it as a 30 gallon or 50 gallon set up. 30 works for everything but M's, for M's 50 gallons works fine, even for a 5/16 M5. Only draw back of my set up is that it's one recording of one horn, out of air."

RS: "I have a gas compressor feeding into a 30 gallon tank, which has a Leslie valve on it. A 1/2 in air line runs from the valve to a horn. Works for everything except for my 5/16th M5. I picked up the compressor from a pawn shop for 235 bucks. I've been looking at tow behind compressors but I don't have a vehicle that can tow that much at the moment. And they're really expensive."

EM: "Here is my set up it has 2 30 gallon air tanks and they are @ 175psi regulated to 110psi I can honk any locomotive horn with out running out of air. And it's 24.7cfm @ 100psi."
----------
quincy.jpg
quincy.jpg (75.58 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
----------