Passing of Robert (Doc) Bryant

Snippets from past years of the no-longer active Locomotive Horn Collectors group on Facebook.
HWAdmin
Site Owner

Passing of Robert (Doc) Bryant

Post by HWAdmin »

(posted by MD, 19 August 2017)

"I know some of you are already aware by now, but for those who haven't heard, Doc Bryant passed on in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
For those that never had the pleasure of meeting Doc, he was an old school member of the Horn & Whistle community and was always quick to offer his knowledge and advice to new members. He loved his cigars, quality food, explosives and train horns. He was an engineer for a short time for the Santa Fe and shared stories of operating Amtrak SDP40Fs.
He was the kind of guy who wasn't shy about telling you what he thought to your face, especially if someone was talking beyond their intellect. He had an impressively extensive vocabulary that was usually reserved for those who were full of it, and had a way about him whereby he could essentially call someone a complete idiot to their face and they'd be appreciative and say thank you. It was something to behold, and those that were at horn honks with him usually got to experience his unique candor first hand. He was also the kind of guy who didn't like people making a fuss over him, and I'm sure he'd have a smart ass comment for me for saying anything more than he finally kicked the can.
Doc had been in declining health in recent years and didn't have time or the energy to bother with a lot of the silliness the hobby has experienced in recent times on social media, but had been a regular contributor and source of knowledge to the community in his healthier years from back in the AOL days and then the yahoogroups."
----------
20915111_10156927952333018_3403978142866521446_n.jpg