Railroads That Used S3L-F or RF in 50s and 60s

Snippets from past years of the no-longer active Locomotive Horn Collectors group on Facebook.
HWAdmin
Site Owner

Railroads That Used S3L-F or RF in 50s and 60s

Post by HWAdmin »

(posted by JM, 11 March 2017)

"Question: Does anyone know which railroads ordered the S3L-F or S3L-RF in the 50's and early 60's? Looking at the tabby era obviously, bronze or aluminum. Anything helps, seen a few pics of "S3L-RF" stamped on the 44 bell of bronze tab horns but no mention of what road it came from. Thanks in advance!"

(comments)

MF: "There are several examples of early tabbies (bronze) in collector hands from Redding and B&O. I also know that UP was another early user of the S3L. By the mid 60's at the tail end of the aluminum tabby era the 3L was starting to become the most common horn in North America so just about every RR had one. Also PRR had a ton of tabby S3L's."
JM: "I guess my question is geared more towards who ordered the full orifice version as opposed to variable, thats what I had a hard time finding"
MF: "Gotcha. That I wouldn't know, though UP did favor the full orifice so maybe their tabbies were."
JC: "I've seen a 1952 UPRR S3LRF with SL-3L-RF stamped on the 44 bell. That sucker was loud! Louder than my N&W MOD S5TRF and it blew a major chord almost like an S3J."