Amazon, Walmart, eBay "Train Horns"

for discussing horns designed and used for road and fire truck use.
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Amazon, Walmart, eBay "Train Horns"

Post by Flat Train »

I have a few of these fake train horns, and Some of them are actually good. I have a bunch of these gampro horns that come in 1, 2, and 4 chimes. The description always says "150 DB, 200 DB" but that's obviously fake. The quad horn is 126DB @ 1 meter, the single chime is 118 @ 1 meter, metal 2 chime is 113 @ 1 meter, and Plastic 2 chime is 116 @ 1 meter. I also have a viking horns v621K, Which plays the same notes as a new cast P2 with bells 2&3 (F&A flat) This horn is 118 DB @ 1 meter. My homemade horn has the gampro single chime with the high pitched plastic horn. The combo is 122 DB @ 1 meter. I hooked this horn up to a bike pump instead of the small compressors because the compressors are very cheap and make the horn 116 DB. Here are the horns I used.

Quad

Dual (Metal) Don't buy this horn. Ill make a vid why not to soon.

Dual (Plastic)

Single

Viking V621K
NickN Great Britain
Sandcast Senior

Re: Amazon, Walmart, eBay "Train Horns"

Post by NickN »

A few of these products are actually not bad sounding things for use on a car or truck, and at least it saves destroying authentic train horns, especially if mounted underneath.

The Siege Engineering Kong MkII was one I almost bought a few years back: I don't know if it's still made any more.
http://store.sevensaturdays.com/sie-kon ... g-kit.html

I do wonder at some of the adverts for the horns you listed, they claim nonsense things like "300 DB" which is of course impossible. How they get away with that I don't know.
A chime collector in a land of two-tone horns...
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Re: Amazon, Walmart, eBay "Train Horns"

Post by Flat Train »

NickN wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:25 pm A few of these products are actually not bad sounding things for use on a car or truck, and at least it saves destroying authentic train horns, especially if mounted underneath.

The Siege Engineering Kong MkII was one I almost bought a few years back: I don't know if it's still made any more.
http://store.sevensaturdays.com/sie-kon ... g-kit.html

I do wonder at some of the adverts for the horns you listed, they claim nonsense things like "300 DB" which is of course impossible. How they get away with that I don't know.
That Kong horn seems overhyped. Is it as loud as maybe a ks1 or something? One horn said that it was "200 Db" and both horns produced 127DB with both horns on top of the DB meter. It produced 112 or so DB at a meter.