Issues with Under Vehicle Horn Rigs

Snippets from past years of the no-longer active Locomotive Horn Collectors group on Facebook.
HWAdmin
Site Owner

Issues with Under Vehicle Horn Rigs

Post by HWAdmin »

(posted by CG, 19th April 2018)

"Question for those that run their horns on the vehicle, specifically underneath in some way. Has anyone ever had issues with debris or other materials being kicked up into or damaging their horn? I'm thinking a wire mesh material over the front of the bells would prevent most issues that may arise. Thanks in advance."

(comments)

TV: "This is why you get a cheap, common horn if you're gonna plant it under the truck."

MF: "The biggest issue under vehicles is all the moisture that gets into the horn. I've seen horns shattering to pieces because the corrosion (expansion) of the hardware cracks the aluminum castings apart."

AA: "I've run mine under the truck. Wrap some good quality shade cloth material around your horn to prevent crap getting plastered on your bells and manifold, also put some plastic, rubber or what ever on the sides to prevent excess water splash from your inner wheels spraying water and crap on the horn. Great for summertime use but when it rains or winter sets in then get them off."