Sand Cast K5LA Project Horn

For any horn, whistle or siren related videos or sound recordings, testing, run-bys, horn honks, etc.
epederson United States of America
Airchime Junior

Sand Cast K5LA Project Horn

Post by epederson »

Here is a recording of my Sand Cast K5LA. This horn originally started as a partially sand cast K5H that I had bought from Eric Miller. The horn had sand cast bells 1, 2, 3, 5 and a die cast 4 bell. I wanted to try to find a sand cast 4 bell to make the K5H 100% sand cast. I stumbled across a 2 chime K horn on eBay. It was listed as a “P2”. It had sand cast bells 2 and 4. I was excited about this. When I opened up the horn it was in super rough shape and the 4 bell was not a straight 4. It was actually bored to what looked to be 4A specs. The 4 bell was send to Mike Muha to be remachined as it was badly corroded and would not play as is. After a while I had bought another sand cast 3 bell from a friend. I sent the 3 bell to Mike to get bored to 3A specs. The horn is now a 100% sand cast K5LA. I’m still confused as to why the 4 bell was bored to begin with. If anyone can shed some light on the 4 bell that would be cool. Here’s the finished result.
Airchime Junior

Re: Sand Cast K5LA Project Horn

Post by epederson »

F4BC4DAE-FA7B-48DF-A3AC-6D6C8033040E.jpeg
9807B50A-C1F0-4250-BF2E-202D7591980A.jpeg
The SC 4 bell
46FF7AD2-6EDC-4FD2-A93E-2FCE4CD0543E.jpeg
The SC 3 bell machined to 3A by Mr Muha
NickN Great Britain
Sandcast Senior

Post by NickN »

There was something called a K25 by Nathan that was a dual manifold with bells 2 and 5: maybe they made a 24a version, I don't know.

You've ended up with an awesome horn though in the end, a sandcast K5LA is one of those things many want but few have.
A chime collector in a land of two-tone horns...
Airchime Junior

Post by epederson »

Oh I should also add that the two SC K bells both had regular Airchime back caps, not made in Canada caps. I just think its weird that a sand cast 4 bell would have bore depth like a 4A. Maybe it was machined at a later time? Some have suggested maybe it was some marine type horn. Many questions for the “P2” the guy found at the flea market haha
Mafarnz United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Mafarnz »

The K24 (two four) is indeed a marine horn, and the 4’s were bored out to the advertised note, which is much closer to a 90’s 4A. Canadian 4’s are very sharp.

There was only ever one sand cast K5LA, that being the prototype. Story is it was stolen on its maiden run never to be seen again.
Maddie F
She/her
Long live the BN and the RS3K!
Airchime Junior

Post by epederson »

Mafarnz wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:49 am The K24 (two four) is indeed a marine horn, and the 4’s were bored out to the advertised note, which is much closer to a 90’s 4A. Canadian 4’s are very sharp.

There was only ever one sand cast K5LA, that being the prototype. Story is it was stolen on its maiden run never to be seen again.
Great info! Thanks Maddie.