Use of Bells in USA?

anything to do with the rail system, liveries, timetables, horns, motive power, etc.
NickN Great Britain
Sandcast Senior

Use of Bells in USA?

Post by NickN »

I wondered what the rules are nowadays about when to use the locomotive bell on trains in the US.

Is it supposed to be used at ALL level (grade) crossings regardless of train speed, or is it generally for slower speed movements? There seems to be a lot of variation when watching Youtube videos.
Also on brand new trains like the Amtrak Acela Avelia Liberty, is it fitted, or only on freight locomotives?
A chime collector in a land of two-tone horns...
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Re: Use of Bells in USA?

Post by Flat Train »

I am not sure what the official rules are, but it mostly depends on the engineer and the locomotive. For example, on the GE C44-9W, the bell turns on whenever the horn is honked, so an engineer that doesn't like the bell will most likely keep the bell on in a patch of grade crossings, or when the horn will need to be honked a lot. Some engineers will keep the bell on at all grade crossings, stations, yards, etc, even if they are in a loco where the bell doesn't turn on when the horn is honked. If an engineer is put in a loco where the bell doesn't turn on automatically, they will usually keep it on only in select situations like only when arriving in stations, street running, and maybe quiet zones. (Quiet zones are where the engineer is only allowed to honk the horn in emergency situations). Even if a rule is to keep the bell on in a station, the engineer doesn't always do it. I hope this helps, if you have any questions please ask.
Knucklehead United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by Knucklehead »

It all depends on the railroad and their rules regarding bell usage but they should all be the same for highway grade crossing warning. Horn sounded 15-20 seconds and bell run continously until the crossing is occupied. Most if not all railroads require the bell to be rung continously while passing a passenger station platform.
Sandcast Senior

Post by Flat Train »

Knucklehead wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 pm It all depends on the railroad and their rules regarding bell usage but they should all be the same for highway grade crossing warning. Horn sounded 15-20 seconds and bell run continously until the crossing is occupied. Most if not all railroads require the bell to be rung continously while passing a passenger station platform.
Those rules aren’t followed that strictly though.
NickN Great Britain
Sandcast Senior

Post by NickN »

Thanks for the responses: good to know at least what *should* happen, and why sometimes it doesn't!

Did you know two (and only two) of our mainline UK locomotives have a bell fitted? It was the first Class 59, 59001 (EMD JT26CW-SS), and a subsequent order years later, of which the first was 59201. I don't believe the bell is functional, just decorative.
---------
59001_Potbridge_2000.jpg
(photo: Martin Loader, January 2000)
A chime collector in a land of two-tone horns...
Sandcast Senior

Post by Flat Train »

The bell looks like it's mounted that it could be operational, but I don't see a clapper. Could be hiding somewhere in the bell though.