Where can I hear horns in SoCal.

anything to do with the rail system, liveries, timetables, horns, motive power, etc.
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Where can I hear horns in SoCal.

Post by Flat Train »

For those people living or visiting SoCal, there are some cool horns you can hear. Coaster used to have some of the best K5LAs, but now they all sound like crap, and some are now raised letter, which honestly aren't so bad. All of the F-40s and the F-59s are getting retired so all the locos have that charger sounding K5. Amtrak can have some good horns. As of now, 99% of locos on the surf line are chargers, so not much interest there. The cabcars actually have godly sounding K5s, and have a manual valve. Only problem there is that you don't get a doppler effect. The only p42 action you are going to get is on long distance trains. Metrolink has k2's as their primary horn, with bells 2&4 and 2&4a I believe. The only remaining locos with P2's are the mp-36s. 1 or 2 metrolink f125s have k3s. I know 929 has a raised letter k3l and another has a k3la, but i forgot what number that was. Pacific Harbor line in the port has a K3L on #20 and p3s on #40, 62, and 63. The rest have raised letter K3LAs. Sometimes if your lucky and you visit the BNSF harbor subdivision you can get an ex SF gp60 with an rs3l. No locos that visit here commonly have any rare bells, except for the P2020 LRVs, which have the CNW gong bells. 2 SWs in carson might have a bronze bell. That's pretty much it. Apologies for any grammar errors.