Are scrap dealers a good source for horns?

anything to do with the rail system, liveries, timetables, horns, motive power, etc.
FazThatCoyote United States of America
Airchime Junior

Are scrap dealers a good source for horns?

Post by FazThatCoyote »

I've been mulling over this and I probably already know the answer. Yet, the question still stands within my mind: are scrap dealers a good source to try and 'save' a horn? Or am I more likely to get shot down and rejected, being labeled as a 'foamer' without a second thought?

Any inputs on the idea?
Mafarnz United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Re: Are scrap dealers a good source for horns?

Post by Mafarnz »

It depends on who it is. Some will gladly sell to the public, some won't. Cresson Steel is one that sells to the public, I got a P5 from them. The biggest thing is to not go in hot headed and a know it all, just call them up, ask if they sell to the public, and what they are willing to sell used as removed parts for. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Maddie F
She/her
Long live the BN and the RS3K!
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Flat Train »

I found a few grover horns at a truck place, got 2 for $25. That's 2 for 1/10 of the price of one brand new. Maybe you would be lucky and find some airchimes or grover stuff near you.
FazThatCoyote United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by FazThatCoyote »

Well, an update on the situation. It's been a good few months now and I have heard all of nothing back from the two places I contacted. I don't think its going to go well for me on this front. Kind of a shame tho.
jamest48 United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by jamest48 »

I have a similar question that Fazthatcoyote pointed out. I am interested in getting a Nathan K5LA. There are 3 sites that sell them. Horn Blasters...very expensive....a lot for the $$...trainhorns.net...reviews not so good...and realtrainhorn.net. Mixed feelings. RTH had some problems a few years ago...Luke Jackson was running the show then. Guess there were some health issues involved within the family. But as time went on...orders got delayed...quality went down and NO communication...dropped website for awhile. I see Larry, his brother is running it now and has for a few years. Have also contacted Tommy Aker for the K5LA but doesn't have one at present. RTH has several. Are they a reputable company now?
THN seems to have a bad rep...no communication...loosing orders etc. So not wanting to take a chance there. Anyone hear anything that would NOT make me want buy from RTH?? All thoughts and experiences would be GREATLY appreciated...thanks Guys.
Jim
ITM83A United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by ITM83A »

Keep hunting, if your on facebook, watch your local marketplace. Most of these guys that collector horns have contacts, aka networking and thats how they find them. K5LA are one of the most common ones to turn up on the market. Ebay prices are silly, and prices from places you mentioned are also silly. I typically see a K5LA go for 1000-1500 on the facebook horn groups. But, many guys dont want to ship as it is a big horn and packing it for shipping is a pain in the ass. Doesn't help prices have gone way up. When I got my K3LA kit from Train Horns of Texas, it was just under 1K after some haggling with him. Now he wants over $1700 on ebay for the same damn kit. wow! Keep up the hunt, one will turn up eventually.
jamest48 United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by jamest48 »

OK...thanks for the tips and advice...will continue my search.
Jim