Shop Vac for Steam Whistle

post about your latest project, useful tips or tricks, or feel free to ask questions.
Papster Great Britain
Airchime Junior

Shop Vac for Steam Whistle

Post by Papster »

Hi All,

I would like to fit a steam whistle to my boat and have been trying to find a way to run it without steam. I appreciate that it does not appeal to the purists and steam has its own unique characteristics but as I don’t expect to be alongside a steam train at any time (for comparison) it is something I am willing to live with. I have looked into compressed air but I’m not sure that will work as I assume a steam whistle relies on volume rather than pressure. What are your thoughts on using a shop vac as an air source as they produce a lot of air quickly. My boat has a vintage engine so I don’t think the noise of the vac will spoil the effect and having a wet/dry vac is handy to have on boar for cleaning bilges.

If this is viable/possible then new questions will follow! I have been struggling to work out how to match whistles to air volume.

Cheers
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Re: Shop Vac for Steam Whistle

Post by Flat Train »

I really doubt it would work, but maybe try it once to see if you get any sound at all, maybe you could make something similar work with a bigger pump.
DreamScooter2006 United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by DreamScooter2006 »

You would probably be best off with a tank setup that uses a regulator. This would allow you to run the whistle at what ever pressure you would like while the tank remains at a high pressure. Depending on what whistle you will run, you will need to decide what tank/compressor you should use. The regulator will also cut down on air consumption as well.
Mafarnz United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Mafarnz »

A whistle uses a HUGE volume of air. A regulator would restrict the flue so much you probably wouldn’t get any sound. These normally operate off a 1.5” or 2” steam pipe, with steam that’s 200 PSI or more. Steam is denser than air so you’d need even more airflow than an equivalent volume of steam.
Maddie F
She/her
Long live the BN and the RS3K!
Mafarnz United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Mafarnz »

Here’s a whistle on compressed air. Not very impressive.

https://youtu.be/3YiAcrxnu2E
Maddie F
She/her
Long live the BN and the RS3K!
DreamScooter2006 United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by DreamScooter2006 »

I was thinking of a smaller air whistle (Westinghouse T9997) and not a large whistle designed for steam. As Maddie said, there really isn't any good way to run an authentic steam whistle properly without a large boiler that is pressurized to 200 psi.