A weeeee bit crusty….

post about your latest project, useful tips or tricks, or feel free to ask questions.
Mafarnz United States of America
Sandcast Senior

A weeeee bit crusty….

Post by Mafarnz »

So this is a thread for me to document and share the process of rebuilding the crustiest horn I’ve ever seen.
I’m told this came off a switcher at a line plant where they loaded covered hoppers. I’ve never seen a horn this caked in mineral deposits before. In addition, anti theft bars were welded to the bolts on the base of the manifold. So I’ll have to cut or grind those off too….
Attachments
EC923F96-8F82-486C-BEA4-79ECEC333B59.jpeg
A99606EE-3504-449F-85FC-56BD34DA87F9.jpeg
32A30E16-CAF8-4DE7-BDB6-CC2DF9968772.jpeg
3789483B-1AAA-4987-B7C3-5D45D297B092.jpeg
Maddie F
She/her
Long live the BN and the RS3K!
Railgeek Virgin Islands (USA)
Sandcast Senior

Re: A weeeee bit crusty….

Post by Railgeek »

The center support looks questionable. Is it cracked?
-Reed Skyllingstad
www.PrecisionPartsNW.com
Mafarnz United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Mafarnz »

I’ll find out once I get it off the piece of loco roof and cleaned up. Handling it the whole thing feels solid.
Maddie F
She/her
Long live the BN and the RS3K!
Mäk Eldwïne United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by Mäk Eldwïne »

Good ol' P3's

Looks like you got quite the project ahead of you Maddie, Those anti theft welds don't look very sturdy. you could probably knock those steel rods with enough hits with a hammer, they look like there just tacked on there. Other than all the mineral deposit on the horn, you could probably knock that all off with a flathead screwdriver or a lil tap with a nailing hammer. Just don't hit horns too much cause from my experience, Airchime horns are just like glass, They shatter very easily. One thing I would like to say is that those minerals may have caused a lot of corrosion. Those back cap bolts are probably gonna be a nightmare to get off, unless the sediment preserved them otherwise. I would be careful with those back cap bolts.

Other than all that looks like the project should go well for you.

-From yours truly
This user is deceased