More MelodyChime Prototyping

post about your latest project, useful tips or tricks, or feel free to ask questions.
Bradygoldminer United States of America
Airchime Junior

More MelodyChime Prototyping

Post by Bradygoldminer »

Well then,

After sorting some crazy things out in my life. And doing some unexpected things with myself, I'm still spending crazy amounts of money for developing Project Matilda, The hopefully first multi-chime horn revision from the 60+ year old standard air horn design that's used these days that Swanson developed way back when. So like, I finally got some motivation today from doing some extensive research on more casting methods, and ways I can produce the first working concept. (It's already getting in 2 grand range) I'm honestly hyped up about developing this little son of a B*. Like this horn will change the entire horn industry, It will reduce costs (like a lot) and provide more horn security against thieves, and sound way better than what you hear nowadays on trains, and best of all it's going to be efficient as hell.

So after that brief nonsensical explanation, Here's some of the match plates / patterns, for casting.

Matchplate viewed from top
Matchplate viewed from top
3D view of Matchplate
3D view of Matchplate
Bell Flare Pattern (probably wont cast well)
Bell Flare Pattern (probably wont cast well)

I'm going to link my FB below, You can stock me on there, and more prototype development, and also, Just make sure to prepare for the biggest shock if you known me as a friend for awhile I literally changed (like alot) I may have been hiding something for awhile. Anyways, if you want to add me as a friend, go for it I NEED FREINDS lol. link https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100075850486845

Thanks.
This user is deceased
FazThatCoyote United States of America
Airchime Junior

Re: More MelodyChime Prototyping

Post by FazThatCoyote »

This sounds like a really cool project idea. If I may ask, musically speaking, what notes are you going to compose your chords with? I like to try and figure chords out and listen to them in action either in person or by the keys of my keyboard. Hope to see more from this tho!
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Flat Train »

How much CFM is the prototype consuming?
Airchime Junior

Post by Bradygoldminer »

FazThatCoyote wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:10 am This sounds like a really cool project idea. If I may ask, musically speaking, what notes are you going to compose your chords with? I like to try and figure chords out and listen to them in action either in person or by the keys of my keyboard. Hope to see more from this tho!
If you can come up with a good chord, I would love recommendations for chords that sound absolutely beautiful, and not just noise that we all hear these days. I need something unique, haunting, and something that hasn't been used on other horns throughout the years. I'm not really a guy that knows how musical chords work that well.

Other than all that,
Thanks for the reply.
This user is deceased
Airchime Junior

Post by Bradygoldminer »

Flat Train wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:06 pm How much CFM is the prototype consuming?
Unfortunately, I haven't made the prototype yet,
My goal with the efficiency, is to make the unit be able to run better than any standard K Horns. Like what I'm wanting to do is to have all the trumpets sounding when I run air through a 1/8 inch air line, to the horn. Similar to the system used on truck horns.
This user is deceased
FazThatCoyote United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by FazThatCoyote »

Bradygoldminer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:53 am
FazThatCoyote wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:10 am This sounds like a really cool project idea. If I may ask, musically speaking, what notes are you going to compose your chords with? I like to try and figure chords out and listen to them in action either in person or by the keys of my keyboard. Hope to see more from this tho!
If you can come up with a good chord, I would love recommendations for chords that sound absolutely beautiful, and not just noise that we all hear these days. I need something unique, haunting, and something that hasn't been used on other horns throughout the years. I'm not really a guy that knows how musical chords work that well.

Other than all that,
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I've got a brain child horn of my own that I came up with but never really got past more than just the chords. I'll see if I can't find the sheet with the chords typed out and share them with you!
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Flat Train »

Bradygoldminer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:57 am
Flat Train wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:06 pm How much CFM is the prototype consuming?
Unfortunately, I haven't made the prototype yet,
My goal with the efficiency, is to make the unit be able to run better than any standard K Horns. Like what I'm wanting to do is to have all the trumpets sounding when I run air through a 1/8 inch air line, to the horn. Similar to the system used on truck horns.
There is no horn in existence that has a 1/4'' line that can even sound remotely loud as a K5, my PVC K5 that I built from a few china parts still requires at least 3/8.