Horn Rig Show and Tell

post about your latest project, useful tips or tricks, or feel free to ask questions.
epederson United States of America
Airchime Junior

Horn Rig Show and Tell

Post by epederson »

First I’d like to say thanks to the creators of this forum. I’ve really missed the old HWB. I hope we’re able to get some good content back into this forum. Thanks.
I’ll start with sharing some photos of my rig and some brief information. My rig is a 2019 Ford F-150 2.7L. It is my daily driver but does not get many miles on it as I have company vehicle to take home. I have a Harbor Freight truck bed mounted compressor. The unit pumps about 18CFM and has a 30G tank. I also have a secondary 30G Manchester tank. I use an eBay regulator/ filter and a secondary filter following. For valves I use a Graham White manual and 2 stage solenoid setup. Both are piped so that they can be used at anytime without any disconnections/re connections. I have a 1/4” exhausting solenoid for bell use that I bought off eBay. The Harbor Freight compressor has really treated me well. As far as airtime goes, I don’t have much of a problem running any horns. I get some great airtime with it. Only real problem with air loss is with M Horns, but even then I can get some decent sequences in for a recording. Feel free to contact me with any questions!
EP
E6C87712-85EF-443C-8F3F-8C35BFC7C96F.jpeg
CC49A7FD-B914-4FE8-910E-1893199B7982.jpeg
2A385EB3-FDD5-4FE9-B134-0FBF6BB435B4.jpeg
Airchime Junior

Re: Horn Rig Show and Tell

Post by epederson »

Here it is with some whistles mounted.
412357F2-58D8-4D0D-A4E4-20B99D79505D.jpeg
49698E60-B003-489B-BBA6-E5A48F461E03.jpeg
HWAdmin
Site Owner

Post by HWAdmin »

Thank you and we hope this forum will become popular with time, the old one was indeed a huge loss when it disappeared, with all the resources and information there. But it is all nothing without the contributors, so thanks for creating this posting.

And that looks like a great setup, even more so having the optional manual/solenoid valve.
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Flat Train »

About how much honk time do you get out of an M5?
Airchime Junior

Post by epederson »

Flat Train wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 pm About how much honk time do you get out of an M5?
This video will give you a good idea. Nice decent run, however, in cab I can start to sense air loss by the end of the run. I’m pretty satisfied with that result.

Railgeek Virgin Islands (USA)
Sandcast Senior

Post by Railgeek »

Did you custom fabricate the mounting solution for horns? I have a RenardRiser™ but was wondering about the metal riser below that.
-Reed Skyllingstad
www.PrecisionPartsNW.com
Airchime Junior

Post by epederson »

Railgeek wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:18 am Did you custom fabricate the mounting solution for horns? I have a RenardRiser™ but was wondering about the metal riser below that.
The metal riser is actually a hornblasters mounting bracket. I had bought the bracket at a time when I was using a Leslie riser that had the air inlet in the bottom of the riser. The HB bracket has four mounting holes and a opening for a air inlet so I was able to pipe into the Leslie riser with this bracket. I eventually had the new riser made that has the air inlet in the side, so I didn’t have much use for the HB bracket. I decided to use it anyway because I liked the height it gave me.
Sidecar United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by Sidecar »

What an awesome looking rig! Really nice work. I too have a "RenardRiser™" (that's hilarious) which makes a huge difference.

Echoing the same about the return of a forum like this. In an age where so many Facebook groups are killing forum traffic, it is really nice to have a place to get away from the toxicity that often plagues those groups. Thanks to all involved in creating this.
Airchime
Airchime Junior

Post by Airchime »

Really clean looking rig!
Nathan_P5A United States of America
Site Admin

Post by Nathan_P5A »

I’ve been really slacking about posting my rig so here we go. 2019 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 cummins 4x4 and a crew cab long bed. In the bed I have a puma 3 cylinder compressor powered by a 14 hp Honda Motor. Both are mounted to the top of a 30 gallon tank. The compressor puts out 24 cfm at 100 psi, and 23.7 cfm at 175. It’s hooked up via Chicago fittings to a 60 gallon surge tank where a 1 inch line runs along the side of the bed to a very expensive Ingersoll rand high flow regulator/water separator/filter reduces the line to 3/4”. It then travels through the front of the bed via an access port. The line continues down and loops up under the drivers side passenger door where a grommet was removed under the storage container. After entering the cab the line meets my viloco AW206 2-stage valve and reduces to 1/2” where it remains out to the horn itself. The entire setup is 90 gallons of “unlimited air” which is more fun than I can admit. Lastly, the rig is not mmmmmmmm able to be removed within 20 mins pending I have the right help. Here is a photo of the rig the night it was finished.ps! If you click the picture, it shows up right side up.
1EE105C9-BEFB-4F9A-9834-264392636782.jpeg
Attachments
8E9C92F0-5E76-459D-8CD3-0DE08051E0CB.jpeg