Melody Horn Prototyping Progress

post about your latest project, useful tips or tricks, or feel free to ask questions.
Bradygoldminer United States of America
Airchime Junior

Melody Horn Prototyping Progress

Post by Bradygoldminer »

Hello Everyone,

I am determined to start my own business in the horn industry after I graduate high school this year. I will be offering horn products for the automotive, locomotive, and marine industry, hopefully starting in the next 3 years. I am mainly starting off with the prototyping phase (Phase 1), To be sure my horn design will be proven to work in all conditions and environments. These first runs of horns will be sand casted in steel alloy, for extra durability and have a rubber nozzle to prevent rusting of the nozzle. The first runs will also be coated in a zinc chromate primer to prevent rust to the assembly. If you ever come across a horn with zinc chromate primer, it irritates skin, trust me it’s bad and hurts like hell, but it's great for protecting horns.

Why steel?
Steel is a cheap and is a cost effective material, it is also easy to weld on, in a field repair, or job, and has more strength then aluminum. The only downside it that is rusts and is dangerous to cast.

(Testing phase)
Once I have perfected the horn design, I will have to push the horn to Its limits, (as of) Simulating a tree branch or bird strike on the bell flares, Grain hopper damage, extreme heat and cold testing, and etc...

So far, the prototype / concept horn works great, I may have to do some more tinkering with the air pressure, and assembly. These horns are going to have a through back sound from the early days of locomotive horns, I got plenty of pleasing sounds to implement to these horns, such as the Airchime M5, M3, KMJ 234, Old Cast P5, Leslie SL4T, S3BJ, and S3J, and possibly Ed’s custom Airchime P7X.

I’m going to need to source out some help with doing more prototyping work to these horns, such as metal castings, bell lengths & frequencies, material management, and machinists.

In the future, I will also probably be looking for some artists for designing an online catalog for the company, a website coder & designer, and many more things to come.

These horns may also be equipped with an irremovable global tracking device, to prevent theft and fraud. If you need to find out about a horns history, you could give us a call and a serial number, and we will have the exact location, history and engine it has been removed from.

In conclusion, my company still needs some more work done to it, so it’s not ready for mass production or business yet.

If you have any questions, let me know,

Thanks,
Brady
This user is deceased
NickN Great Britain
Sandcast Senior

Re: Melody Horn Prototyping Progress

Post by NickN »

Very interesting, it would be good to see photos and videos of your progress too as you go along. And good luck with the project.
A chime collector in a land of two-tone horns...