Melody F-4 And G-4-X

for all discussion about horns fitted to locomotives and trains, their history, and collecting them.
Mäk Eldwïne United States of America
Airchime Junior

Melody F-4 And G-4-X

Post by Mäk Eldwïne »

Hello Everyone,

This is probaly if not one of my last posts regarding locomotive horns entirely. I've made many posts in the past about how horn collecting has screwed my life over. This thread is going to explain the entire Melody developent history fiasco. I started off the developement of Melodychime horns around 5 years ago. It was basically refined design replacement to the 50+ year old Airchime designs that's still being used today. I would state that Standard Locomotive air horn hardware hasn't been modernised in the last 50 - 60 years. I ended up changing up this project to provide newer hardware whenever Micro Precision finally kicks the bucket. I have not succeeded on that task, and I believe it's too late. I contacted MP about the design around 1 - 2 weeks ago, and I recieved an automated email saying that their email is invalid. So, I'm assuming their on the urge of going out of business, which I predicted in earlier times. I finally said "f**k it" and just dropped everything in general, and released the designs publicly for anyone to pickup where I left off.

The intention of designing Melody Hardware was to maximize effieiency, and to modernize locomotive horns, so they could whistand more abuse and torture than any other MP or Leslie product. At the base of the Bolt Port, there are two extra holes. That's for a pin and link setup to prevent theft. One thing that helped me develop all this was having original Swanson hand written notes and developemnt documents that I picked up from an online estate auction that nobody knew of. I believe I'm the only person that has such valuable documentation. One thing to mention is that I'm not going to give any of these notes or documents to anybody. I'm going to throw them into a campfire to prevent being viewed by anybody whenever I get the chance, theres things on those notes that nobody should know about.

In the last 5 months, I've done most of the designing of the Infamous model F-4. The F-4 is truely one of the most powerful locomotive horn to ever exist. None of them were ever made, but I did some calculations and it was estimated to force out an estimated 143.7 DB at 100 ft. That's just like someone screaming their lungs out right next to your ear, but their 100 feet away. Thats probably due to the 2 inch throat of the trumpet assembly. Other things that were supposed to be added was Thorium powder to the casting slurry, before being cast. As you can tell, That would probably not be good for the enviroment and would probably cause cancer really fast, So... You can probably tell why the design was changed. Heres a rendered image of the model F-4
Model_F4.png
The last few months before the collapse of the project, I did the final revisions to the once was F-4. The design is now the G-4-X Which was a smaller version of the F-4, Since the Model F-4 was so big and most likely would have cost a fortune to produce. The Model G-4-X is basically the finished product of the entire Melody development fiasco. The G-4 was not supposed to have Thorium powder introduced to the castings, becuase it was a non-radioactive version. Many people have critisized me for adding radioactive metals to a horn, so I basically took that into consideration and fixed the problem. Here's a rendering of the final G-4-X Design.
Model_G-4-X.PNG
I have since left the documents to build these horns in another part of this forum, including technical and diagram paperwork. I have a ton more info on the development of melody, It's just I can't fit it all into this post.

I may poke around here from time to time, but for now I guess thats about it.

Mak
This user is deceased