US Southern Railway Paint Colour for Horns

for all discussion about horns fitted to locomotives and trains, their history, and collecting them.
NickN Great Britain
Sandcast Senior

US Southern Railway Paint Colour for Horns

Post by NickN »

My next question:

Did the Southern Railway Company (USA) use dark green for their horns, and if so, does anyone have any photos? Or did they use black, or was that the colour at a late stage before the Norfolk Southern amalgamation happened?

Quite difficult to tell from photos, and it seems that the green changed from an obvious lighter green to very dark, or even black.

Any information welcome! Thanks.
-------------
2eccb2dec75810b0447b7023dba5d861.jpg
sou5000.jpg
A chime collector in a land of two-tone horns...
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Re: US Southern Railway Paint Colour for Horns

Post by Flat Train »

NS probably changed it. Probably black now.
Sidecar United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by Sidecar »

I've definitely seen a few dark green Southern M5s in preservation, which probably were from the green E-units. I don't think many locomotives were done up in green. Somebody can surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the switch from green to black overall was made relatively early into the diesel era.

It's worth noting that the 4610 in your photo is actually a Norfolk Southern GP60, repainted as such in the early 90s as a nod to their Southern heritage. The high hood GP38-2 in the other photo is indeed black, though the likeness between the schemes is similar enough where it may seem like it was green and weathered to black.

A friend has a SOU P5, and it's black. That'll be the case for the majority of SOU horns.
Mafarnz United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Mafarnz »

My Southern M5 is from a passenger E or F unit (not sure which), its dark green.
Attachments
Southern Railway M5
Southern Railway M5
Maddie F
She/her
Long live the BN and the RS3K!
NickN Great Britain
Sandcast Senior

Post by NickN »

Thank you for the replies, and very useful to know - as the horn in question likely came off an SD45 then I am now convinced it would have been black.

However, that dark green (black green, really) does look amazing, so I may take some artistic liberty if I do paint it up. Given that the original paint is long gone.
A chime collector in a land of two-tone horns...