OC P3 that has a unique chime to it

for all discussion about horns fitted to locomotives and trains, their history, and collecting them.
ITM83A United States of America
Airchime Junior

OC P3 that has a unique chime to it

Post by ITM83A »

Need someone with more P series knowledge that I do to see what they think of this OC P3. It was assumed its set up 1 2 R4, but I found some other youtube videos with the same trumpet set up and they still dont have this unique sound. Is there possible some different bells on this one from a P5 giving this 3 chime a unique combination? Trying to recreate this on my own horn, which is a new cast but I was going to start looking for the OC bells to get this sound.
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Re: OC P3 that has a unique chime to it

Post by Flat Train »

Almost sounds like a P2, maybe OC 2 and 3?
locomotivehornadict United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by locomotivehornadict »

Ive been playin with swapin out factory .008 dias for thicker .018 dias in my P-01235 and it changes the tone quit a bit. I get a chance Ill do a P-3, Bells 1,2 and 4 with the .018 dias. Maybe this p-3 has thicker dias.
Our P-01235 1,2,3 and 5 bells oc, 0 bell is nc.
Airchime Junior

Post by ITM83A »

Its a P3, you can see it in broadside pics, both her and the 96 carried them. I actually think this is 96's horn as 96 took life ended crankshaft damage when the flywheel came loose and it got parked in the dead line. I am wondering if its not bells 1 and 2 facing forward. You can see its bell 4 reversed and tell when you hear the horn blowing after the engine has passed. Its the forward chime that is just beautiful to me.
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Flat Train »

Maybe a P3a?
Mafarnz United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Mafarnz »

It’s just a standard old cast P3. It has a very brassy tone to it, and is likely a very early, 1950’s era casting.
Maddie F
She/her
Long live the BN and the RS3K!
Airchime Junior

Post by ITM83A »

Thanks Maddie, both of the Museums F units had them at one time. Since they lost ownership of said units in a huge mess back in 2019, I am not sure the engine still carries the horn as for awhile it had no horns. I suspect when the group was forced out, they took all the horns with them since they were unable to get the locomotives moved to a new location in time.