My Newcast P5 (also my introduction)

for all discussion about horns fitted to locomotives and trains, their history, and collecting them.
FazThatCoyote United States of America
Airchime Junior

My Newcast P5 (also my introduction)

Post by FazThatCoyote »

Don't know if this thread is really the place to make an introduction, but here we go.

I stumbled across this forum while trying to answer a horn question for a friend, and over the past few days of being on here, I have decided that now is better than never for 'strutting my stuff'.

Now, I've always loved train horns, being that I grew up with a musical background, but for the longest time I thought that that was all that was to it...until about late 2018 when I most likely stumbled across the concept of owning your own train horn. I didn't have the money for this sort of thing, yet the dream always sat there in the back of my head.

Well, that dream came true around November of 2020 when a friend and I had a discussion. Won't go into too much detail, but basically there was a bet and I jokingly said I wanted a horn if I won the bet....which I did....and then became the owner of a New Cast P3 on a gullwing manifold. Don't know the date of it's manufacture (Airchime was very tight lips when I asked them), but the serial number is 34712 for those who know more about dating serials.

I originally didn't have the air to supply this horn, but when I finally got my hands a little pancake compressor and some lines (1/4in, shun me I know. I do plan on upgrading in the future), I found that the 4 bell was fouled and would only squeak...so upon fixing the bell, I named the horn Squeaks. (childish, I know).

Now, living in the Hub City of the SE US, I've grown up around the former SOU mainline from D.C. to New Orleans, and as such, became a sucker to p5s. So, with my birthday money, I purchased myself a newcast 3 and 5 bell around March of 2021. Currently, the original p3 parts are in a bare aluminum while the 3 and 5 are in HB black (that was the only place I knew to purchase individual chimes at...so much money wasted :/ ). My goal is to one day paint the entire horn into a medium blue with cream ascents (basically any text that is on the blue is picked out in white and vise versa).
Attachments
And finally, a very VERY poor render of what I want to do paint wise.  This was done in a Source powered game called Garry's Mod.  I'm still on the fence of whether or not I want to paint the entire letter block along the flank of the bell white with blue text, or just keep it all blue with white text.
And finally, a very VERY poor render of what I want to do paint wise. This was done in a Source powered game called Garry's Mod. I'm still on the fence of whether or not I want to paint the entire letter block along the flank of the bell white with blue text, or just keep it all blue with white text.
A rear view of it in it's current state.
A rear view of it in it's current state.
And here is how it sits now.  While ABF is not as common on the gull-wing as it is on the low profile, there is a certain charm to it that always has my attention.
And here is how it sits now. While ABF is not as common on the gull-wing as it is on the low profile, there is a certain charm to it that always has my attention.
The very next morning after getting the horn, I had done a full tear down to give a rough look on all the parts.  Thanks to Maddie's wonderful video, I knew my way around the power chambers already.
The very next morning after getting the horn, I had done a full tear down to give a rough look on all the parts. Thanks to Maddie's wonderful video, I knew my way around the power chambers already.
Here's how the horn came...just that the box which contained it has been dismantled.
Here's how the horn came...just that the box which contained it has been dismantled.
Mafarnz United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Re: My Newcast P5 (also my introduction)

Post by Mafarnz »

Love the blue & white color scheme! Reminds me of Rock Island bankruptcy blue.

The P horns follow the same serial numberings as the K horns. 34712 would put it sometime early 2000's. There is a 27,XXX confirmed number from 2001, and 55,XXX confirmed number from 2007.
Maddie F
She/her
Long live the BN and the RS3K!
FazThatCoyote United States of America
Airchime Junior

Re: My Newcast P5 (also my introduction)

Post by FazThatCoyote »

Thanks for the information on the serial number Maddie!