My first 2 horns

for all discussion about horns fitted to locomotives and trains, their history, and collecting them.
ITM83A United States of America
Airchime Junior

My first 2 horns

Post by ITM83A »

For years I have wanted my own horn. This past summer my wife ordered up a pair of Nathan K3LA kits from Horns of Texas. I had my K3LA installed on my old Jeep YJ till I sold it recently when I removed the set up. I traded my K3 for a P3 as I like its chime better and I am trying to duplicate the chime of the horn on a local museums ex Milw Rd F7 83A. Which also carries a single A200 as well. Once the weather warms back up a bit, I will install the P3 under the rear of my Jeep Liberty where the full size spare used to be with the air tank and compressor inside the cargo area. Her K3 will go under her Jeep once some transfer case work is completed(its in the way of said work so I am waiting on its install). Anyhow, here are the two horns, Mike
Nathan_P5A United States of America
Site Admin

Re: My first 2 horns

Post by Nathan_P5A »

Love the patina on that p3
Airchime Junior

Post by ITM83A »

Thanks, I just sold it to finance a Leslie A200, which has been tops on my list. I will wait till I can afford a 1950's era old cast P3 which is the only way I will get or get close to the chime sound I want. Hopefully this summer/fall I can find and afford a Prime 990 off a BN diesel to go with the rest of my BN stuff.
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Flat Train »

How much did you get your K3 for?
Airchime Junior

Post by ITM83A »

My wife got 2 sets of the K3LAs as kits with compressor, tank and lines from Horns of Texas for just under $1000 per kit. One will go on her Jeep and the Leslie A200 I have now will go on top of my Jeep Liberty in the roof basket. Being a single not honker, it wont catch the attention of the law like a chime horn would. It will also get less road salt and grime up there vs under the rear of the Jeep where the spare tire is now. Anyhow, here is a pic of my A200, still in factory primer. Soon to be painted satin black. Mike
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Post by Flat Train »

The Kits are rip offs if you didn't know already.
Airchime Junior

Post by ITM83A »

Not sure how they are a scam, both were Nathan K3LA horns, over priced yes. But that's before I found this place and others to buy or trade horns. And it was a supprise from my wife. I didnt know she was getting the horn kits, we had only discussed doing that to our Jeeps. Anyhow, I swapped my A200 for this ex Conrail/NS RS3L off of a GE 8-40c
locomotivehornadict United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by locomotivehornadict »

Nice Horn Good deal.
b2major9th United States of America
Airchime Junior

Post by b2major9th »

The price you payed for the kits was really not that bad, considering what a new K3 costs these days, and you got a whole setup for $1k

Not to mention that I've seen horns going for ridiculous prices on ebay, local listings, etc. The days of "$100/bell +$50/manifold" pricing are long gone.

Mike