Locomotive bell info website

including lights, air bells, e-bells, crossing bells, pressure gauges.
Mafarnz United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Locomotive bell info website

Post by Mafarnz »

Hopefully this link remains good in the future!

http://www.bellsandbirmans.com/bells/bellfacts.php
Maddie F
She/her
Long live the BN and the RS3K!
Flat Train United States of America
Sandcast Senior

Re: Locomotive bell info website

Post by Flat Train »

Mafarnz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:59 pm Hopefully this link remains good in the future!

http://www.bellsandbirmans.com/bells/bellfacts.php
Love that site. Wish they had some diagrams of the older and newer GE bells as well.
FDDMS-er
Airchime Junior

Post by FDDMS-er »

The guy who originally wrote that EMD bell information is still around, but he stopped actively collecting or restoring bells and other locomotive items around 2014. When he called it quits, he donated his best examples of the four different "non-Howard" EMD bell and mount assemblies for display at the James H. Andrew Railroad Museum in Boone, IA. He did try to find a Howard yoke/stand to restore and thus complete the EMD bell mounting quintet, but it hung fire for so long that he gave up the search.

Being EMD-centric, he never had any interest in GE locomotive bells and only wrote the original monograph containing that bell information so people buying locomotive bells online could at least figure out that they were not getting a "steam locomotive," "Graham-White," or "Prime" bell when photos clearly showed a 12" bronze EMD bell. He revised and updated that information three or four times over the years as he got additional information, but it was not shared to any extent by the time he pulled the pin on the hobby.
"There is nothing so stupid that nobody will collect it."
FDDMS-er
Airchime Junior

Post by FDDMS-er »

Resized952021081495114702958561.jpg
The display mentioned in the post above took a while to be finished, but it didn't turn out too badly. The W-C-H "gong" was not donated by moi (note that I am taking a break from speaking in the third party), but the rest were the best examples of their respective types I could source and restore to operational, display-quality condition over my 30+ years in the hobby. Check it out if you are ever near Boone, IA.

Sadly, I have to admit defeat with regard to the bell info I wrote and illustrated - and that LC kindly put on his website some years ago - as Ebay is still awash in 12" EMD bells being described as a "steam locomotive bell," "Graham-White bell" or "Prime bell." Hopefully the info was of use in other ways.
"There is nothing so stupid that nobody will collect it."