Australian Tyfon

factory and other industrial use whistles.
WeGotAir Australia
Airchime Junior

Australian Tyfon

Post by WeGotAir »

G'day mates,
This is one of two RVB Engineering Products S200VL "Hurricane Sirens" I have, they were known as "5 Mile Sirens" due to their wide area coverage.
Here in Australia we used them in mines to alert people to a "shot" about to be fired, they were fitted in petrochemical plants as disaster sirens, they were also fitted in small towns in the 1940s as air raid sirens (usually on the local motor garage because they had an air compressor charged at all times)...they have even fitted these horns as fog horns in various coastal locations.

The second of these horns I have has a tag on it that reads J. Wipfli plastics, tool & die....one would assume that they purchased and resold the horns from RVB (or vice versa)

In any case these horns are very similar to Leslie A 200 horns, big and heavy and of the Tyfon design.

Please ask any questions and I'll get back to you with what I know.

Cheers, Alex.
Attachments
20190727_112751.jpg
Screenshot_20200922-204523_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200922-204140_eBay.jpg
locomotivehornadict United States of America
Airchime Junior

Re: Australian Tyfon

Post by locomotivehornadict »

It looks like it has a open back, back cap. I got a Leslie AE125 thats got that type back cap. It was a warning horn off the battle ship New Jersey. Just made new dias for it. The original was 2 and 1 was shattered.